Friday, April 17, 2015

NBA PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS

With the NBA Playoffs set and the next two months of your life dedicated to watching men dunk balls in hoops, why don't I do the original thing and offer my predictions for the road ahead in basketball? You may not know it, but I can see you nodding emphatically in front of your computer screen. Well, then who am I to deny you what you want.

First Round

Atlanta Hawks (E1) vs. Brooklyn Nets (E8)

I'll be surprised if this series goes past four games. Hawks in 4, over a listless, uncaring Nets team.

Cleveland Cavaliers (E2) vs. Boston Celtics (E7)

Another series I don't expect to last long. Though in this case, I expect it to be surprisingly physical. Cavs in 4, though I wouldn't be surprised by a gentleman's sweep either.

Chicago Bulls (E3) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (E6)

Love those low east seeds. Another top team going up against an over-matched opponent. With that said, I think the Bucks have some good young talent and Jason Kidd seems to be a good coach, even if he comes off as an obstinate prick. Still, Bulls in 5.

Toronto Raptors (E4) vs. Washington Wizards (E5)

Here's the trickiest series in the first round. It wouldn't shock me at all for either team to win and for the series to be quick or to go the distance. I'm a fan of chaos, so I'll go with the Raptors in 6. It's gonna be a fun summer in D.C.

Golden State Warriors (W1) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (W8)

Anyone else getting Kevin Durant-from-circa-2010 flashbacks from Anthony Davis? Davis is a remarkable player and may already be top-3 in the NBA right now. But the Warriors are the best team in the NBA and they aren't going out in the first round to a young, flawed team. Warriors in 4, maybe a gentleman's sweep. But look out for the Pelicans to be better next year.

Houston Rockets (W2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (W7)

This series will be chippy and surprisingly close. While the Mavericks are another tier down from all the teams in the first six seeds, they play the Rockets with intensity. I'll say Rockets in 6, on the basis that they're just the better team and more potent offensively and defensively.

Los Angeles Clippers (W3) vs. San Antonio Spurs (W6)

This will likely be lots of fun. The Clippers have been red hot in the last few weeks, but so have the Spurs. And I'm calling for the upset: Spurs in 6. Can't beat the classics.

Portland Trail Blazers (W4) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (W5)

Tough call, since both teams are pretty banged up. I'll go with the Grizzlies in 5, since they aren't AS banged up and, in a scheduling quirk, get to start the series at home, since they have the better record compared to Portland.

Second Round

Atlanta Hawks (E1) vs. Toronto Raptors (E4)

An easy series for the Hawks, who outmatch the Raptors in pretty much every way. Hawks in a gentleman's sweep (5).

Cleveland Cavaliers (E2) vs. Chicago Bulls (E3)

The Bulls renew their rivalry with whichever team LeBron James is playing for this particular season. It'll be tough, physical, and if Derrick Rose stays healthy, a lot closer than a lot of people would think. But I think it'll be Cavs in 6. Another physical series for the Cavs.

Golden State Warriors (W1) vs. San Antonio Spurs (W6)

Speaking of tough series, this is gonna be a barn burner. I fully expect it to go the full 7 games, but I'll go with Warriors thanks to them having home-court advantage in the series.

Houston Rockets (W2) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (W5)

All signs would point to the Rockets winning this series, but I'm going with the surprise upset. Grizzlies in 6, thanks to their defense containing the Rockets' offense.

Conference Finals

Atlanta Hawks (E1) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (E2)

This is where the loss of Thabo Sefolosha is going to come back to bite the Hawks. The Hawks are going to need all the help they can get the defensive end of the court, and while I think they'll take it to the Cavs physically, I don't think they'll have enough to keep the Cavs out of the finals. Cavs in 5. But on the bright side for the Hawks, if these predictions hold, it'll be their first trip to a Conference Finals since 1970.

Golden State Warriors (W1) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (W5)

This series would've been really fun about three months ago. With that said, I think it'll still be a dandy of a series with two equally imposing teams going at it. But the Warriors are the better team. Warriors in 6.

NBA Finals

Golden State Warriors (W1) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (E2)

First off, I expect this to go the full 7 games. Second, I expect the Cavs to be relatively banged up after three-straight physical series. Third, this is going to hopefully be as fun as the 2013 Heat/Spurs Finals. But for all the marbles, I'm going with the Warriors to win their first championship in 40 years, with a side of Steph Curry as Finals MVP.

***

That'll do it for my predictions. Maybe I'll write something else at some point. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment