Saturday, September 21, 2013

NFL WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS

The Chiefs made me look like a genius, so let's see how the rest of the league will treat me in the next couple days.

1. Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

Thoughts: Ed Reed's first game as a Texan will be against his former team. But the main factor that will determine who wins this game will be the health of Ray Rice. If Rice plays, the Ravens will win. If he can't, the Ravens lose. I think he'll play.

Pick: Ravens

2. New York Giants at Carolina Panthers

Thoughts: The Panthers better hope for a blowout because close games aren't exactly their forte under Ron Rivera. They're an appalling 2-14 in games decided by seven or fewer points since 2011. Even though the Giants look anything like a competent football team right now, I still like their chances against the Panthers.

Pick: Giants

3. Green Bay Packers at Cincinnati Bengals

Thoughts: Aaron Rodgers is so distressingly good. The Packers don't even have to throw their defense out there and they'd still win because Rodgers makes it all seem so easy.

Pick: Packers

4. St. Louis Rams at Dallas Cowboys

Thoughts: This is a tough call. On the one hand, the Cowboys have a great deal of talent, especially on offense. On the other hand, they're incredibly flaky. I think they'll just eek out a victory against a good, scrappy Rams team. This will probably be the most fun game in the early slate.

Pick: Cowboys

5. Cleveland Browns at Minnesota Vikings

Thoughts: No Brandon Weeden (injured, won't play) and no Trent Richardson (on a better team) makes this Browns team go crazy. In the bad way.

Pick: Vikings

6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New England Patriots

Thoughts: This game petrifies me, because New England should beat the Bucs. Should. But wouldn't it be so typical that for one week the Bucs figure themselves out and beat a team they have no right in beating? I'm still taking New England. Fingers crossed.

Pick: Patriots

7. Arizona Cardinals at New Orleans Saints

Thoughts: Almost never bet against the Saints in the Super Dome.

Pick: Saints

8. San Diego Chargers at Tennessee Titans

Thoughts: I know it's early in the season and making assumptions about teams now is beyond reckless. But it still bothers me that I can't get a good read on either of these teams. I'll go with Tennessee just because their defense is pretty good and physical. (In hindsight, my 2-14 prediction for them might have been a bit of an overreaction).

Pick: Titans

9. Atlanta Falcons at Miami Dolphins

Thoughts: This could be a pick-em game, which I never would have guessed before the season. The Falcons won't have Steven Jackson, their offensive line and defense are not good and the forecast calls for rain. Advantage, home team.

Pick: Dolphins

10. Buffalo Bills at New York Jets

Thoughts: Speaking of games that terrify me. Again, the way this game swings will depend on one specific player: Geno Smith. If he doesn't have many turnovers, the Jets will win. If he has another fourth quarter performance like he had against the Patriots, the Jets will lose. I go with home teams for the most part in pick-ems; I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Pick: Jets

11. Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers

Thoughts: When I was looking over the schedule, I'm ashamed to admit that I completely forgot that this will be the first time Andrew Luck squares off against his former college coach Jim Harbaugh. Even though I think the Trent Richardson deal will help the Colts in the long run, it's not going to do much this week. The Falcons-Dolphins game or this one will likely be the best game in the afternoon.

Pick: 49ers

12. Jacksonville Jaguars at Seattle Seahawks

Thoughts: Never bet against the Seahawks at home.

Pick: Seahawks

13. Detroit Lions at Washington Redskins

Thoughts: Robert Griffin III hasn't played well this season (to steal a line from the Onion, it's almost like he's coming back from a debilitating knee injury). The Redskins defense hasn't played well this season. This should be an easy win for the Lions, but if ever there was a team that could shoot itself in the foot better than the Lions, I'd like to see it.

Pick: Redskins

14. Chicago Bears at Pittsburgh Steelers

Thoughts: I know I said the Steelers suck last week, but it's still weird to see them... well, suck. Not that I'm complaining this week.

Pick: Bears

15. Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos

Thoughts: Do I really have to justify picking the Broncos in this one?

Pick: Broncos

And there you have it. Here's hoping for another double-digit correct pick count this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment