Monday, July 8, 2013

INTRODUCTIONS ARE THE HARDEST PART

Whenever I had to write an essay in school, I always had a hard time starting it out. Even if I knew exactly what I wanted to say, the dreaded introduction would be my ultimate undoing. Every time I would put pen to paper the words seemed overly contrived or precious, and it always felt like these were just five sentences that I was forced to write in order to get to the crap that I actually wanted to talk about.

Well, let's drop the pretense and I'll just tell you who I am and why you should care (or at the very least, who I am).

My name is Jon Kealy; I was born in September 1990. I am a Caucasian male with hands, feet, a torso, a head and neck (and some other stuff). Unlike Richard Nixon, I was not born in a log cabin that my father built, but a country house that my grandfather paid others to build (like Richard Nixon, I'm incredibly paranoid and unpleasant). I have a BA in History from Utica College, a degree so useful that I'm returning to UC in the fall for Journalism.

Despite the name of the blog indicating I have a fondness for sports, I actually wasn't interested in the subject until fairly recently. I tried to watch sports when I was younger, but I never had the attention span to sit down and watch grown men play with their balls for three hours. I dabbled in youth soccer and little league baseball, but neither of those ended well for various reasons (namely my similarities to a certain former president of the United States).

So for the first eighteen years of my life, I paid nary a mind to sports, peripherally aware of major things that were going on at the time, but far more concerned with more pressing matters- embracing my inner dork. And while I'm certainly still dorky, I've become fascinated with sports, from the all time great teams and players, to the all time worst; to the statistically impressive, to the numbers nightmares; from the underrated gems, to the overrated schlubs. This is all an extension of my general dorkiness; knowledge of inane trivia has been passed down from my father before me. But there's not a lot of places where I can put all these weird factoids and nonsense to practical use.

Enter the blog.

I hope I can form this place into an area where I spout off weird things I find interesting, answer general questions, and stand atop a soapbox to yell out commentary if I'm feeling especially acerbic. Hopefully you, the reader, will actually find that endearing. And if you stick around, you may just learn that Joe Namath was the first quarterback to throw for over 4,000 yards.

Now if you excuse me, I have an appointment with a tape recorder and a comfy chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment