Sunday, July 21, 2013

MLB SECOND HALF START RESULTS

On Friday, I predicted the 15  three game series that represented the kickoff to the end of the MLB season. These are the results which will contrast nicely with my dead on and embarrassing picks. On we go!

New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox

My Prediction: BOS (2-1)
Result: BOS (2-1)

Off to a good start for me! I figured that since the Yankees struggled against Boston in their two prior series, the first series in Boston would go about the same for them, if not worse. Seems like it was the salient choice.

Atlanta Braves at Chicago White Sox

My Prediction: ATL (2-1)
Result: CWS (2-1)

Looking back on my predictions, I didn't take home field advantage as seriously as I probably should have (I am a Mets fan, remember). I still figured that with the White Sox struggling for a while, and facing a team like the Braves, they would have lost the series, maybe eek out a win. I didn't really take the Braves somewhat anemic play of late into account, figuring they'd snap out of it when faced with a mediocre team. Shows what I know.

Pittsburgh Pirates at Cincinnati Reds

My Prediction: CIN (2-1)
Result: CIN (2-1)

Right on again! I bet on the Reds continuing to look like the team they were supposed to be all year round with the homestretch in sight.

Chicago Cubs at Colorado Rockies

My Prediction: CHC (2-1)
Result: COL (2-1)

Another series where I didn't take home field advantage into account that bit me in the ass. I thought the Cubs, who were on a fairly hot streak, would beat the Rockies who were sliding something fierce after a strong start.

Seattle Mariners at Houston Astros

My Prediction: SEA (3-0)
Result: SEA (3-0)

The road team wins it for me! The Astros overachieved for a time, but I figured the Mariners would continue the strong play from the end of the first half into the second.

Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

My Prediction: DET (3-0)
Result: KCR (2-1)

The Royals have really struggled after a strong start, so I thought the Tigers would just have their way with them. Another road team suffers. This may be a minor speed bump for the Tigers, but this may also signal a slide is coming in the last ten weeks. Though considering the division they play in, they'll more than likely still win it.

Oakland Athletics at Los Angeles Angels

My Prediction: OAK (2-1)
Result: LAA (2-1)

Another first half darling that may struggle in the second half. The Angels may have hit rock bottom being swept by the Mariners to close the first half. They may come back to challenge for a wild card spot.

Miami Marlins at Milwaukee Brewers

My Prediction: MIL (2-1)
Result: MIL (3-0)

The Brewers and Marlins both suck, but the Marlins belong in another category of suck entirely. They've got a couple of good pitchers and no offense whatsoever.

Cleveland Indians at Minnesota Twins

My Prediction: CLE (2-1)
Result: MIN (2-1)

I figured with the Twins being bad, they'd fall to a flawed but better team. Home field advantage lives!

Philadelphia Phillies at New York Mets

My Prediction: PHI (2-1)
Result: NYM (2-1)

This one I'm ashamed of; I should have had more faith in my team. On paper, I've pegged the Mets as being better than the Phillies all year, but that hasn't meant shit as far as actual results go up until now. I hope this means that my optimism about this Mets team isn't misplaced.

Arizona Diamondbacks at San Francisco Giants

My Prediction: ARI (2-1)
Result: SFG (2-1)

The home team continues to muck up my predictions. This may lead to another late run for the Giants. I don't really trust the Diamondbacks.

San Diego Padres at St. Louis Cardinals

My Prediction: STL (3-0)
Result: STL (2-1)

Pesky Padres kept this from being a total win for me. The Padres have lost 13 of their last 16 games. The Cardinals are for real as usual.

Baltimore Orioles at Texas Rangers

My Prediction: TEX (2-1)
Result: BAL (3-0)

This was going to be one of my upset picks, where the home team wins against a visiting team that they have no business in beating. I was wrong. The Orioles are really good, the Rangers aren't as good.

Tampa Bay Rays at Toronto Blue Jays

My Prediction: TOR (2-1)
Result: TBR (3-0)

This was my other dark horse pick. The times I pick the home team to do a decent job, the road team hands them their ass. The Rays are also really good. The Blue Jays are really overrated.

Los Angeles Dodgers at Washington Nationals

My Prediction: LAD (2-1)
Result: LAD (3-0)

Speaking of overrated, I underrated the Nationals being overrated. The Dodgers are looking like the team that will ultimately win the NL West. The Nats will be lucky if they finish second in the East.

***

All in all, I accurately predicted the records of the winning teams nine times. I accurately predicted the winning team six times. I only correctly predicted three series perfectly. Ah, well, live and learn. I finally have some downtime tomorrow, so I'm actually going to be able to watch the Mets. They'll probably win. The other teams can do whatever they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment